header image

2014 Dairy State Progressive Dairyman



New Washington State Dairy Ambassadors Selected

  Everett, Wash. – Janis Dejager from Everson, representing Whatcom County, is the 2014-2015 Washington State Dairy Ambassador.  Janis was one of six contestants at the 59th Annual Washington State Dairy Ambassador Coronation at the Grand Ballroom of the Holiday Inn in Everett.


Marissa Apperson from Rochester and Marcy Bartelheimer from Snohomish were selected as Alternate Ambassadors.


Department of Revenue SIMPLIFIES Tax Exemption Documentation

 Yes, it’s TRUE!

 While the notices mailed this month (June 2014) were a little confusing, the effect is to actually simplify the documentation for the Sales Tax Exemption for Livestock Nutrient Management Equipment and Sales & Use Tax Exemption for Farm Machinery and Equipment

In both cases, you may now use one form (Farmers’ Certificate for Wholesale Purchases and Sales Tax Exemptions) to self-certify your exemption.

The links to forms are below.

This is a good thing, as it means you no longer need to wait for a response from the state Department of Revenue before utilizing the exemptions.

You simply fill out the form and present it to a seller of the equipment.

Previously, you needed to apply to the Department of Revenue for a certificate of exemption, wait for their response, and then present the certificate to the seller.  Those certificates expired June 12, and the new self-certification form takes their place.

This simplification of the process is the result of SB 6333, passed by the Legislation in 2014.

This change is only for the Livestock Nutrient Management Equipment and Farm Machinery & Equipment.

The retail sales tax exemption for Anaerobic Digesters still requires an application for aCertificate of Exemption.  The link to that form can be found below.

If you have any questions on this, please call me (Dan Wood) at 360-482-3485 at the Dairy Federation office. Or, call my cell number at 360-870-6018.

Another option is to call directly to Kurt Sand at Washington State Department of Revenue.  He told me he would be glad to take calls from producers and can be reached at 360-705-6659.

Dan Wood

Director of govt. Affairs

Washington State Dairy Federation

PO Box 1768

Elma, WA 98541

360-482-3485 (office)

360-870-6018 (cell)


It’s OK to call any time.  Late, Early, Weekends are OK!



 The 2014  Pre-proposal Template and Call for Research Proposals are now available

2014 Pre-Proposal Template

2014 Call for Research Proposals


*picture courtesy of  ponsulak at freedigitalphotos.net



Waters of the US

Milk Matters 2014 Website thumbnail

WSDF Newsletter Archive Link

houseflyWSU Extension dairy survey results Apr2014




An interesting link...

Application for retail sales tax exemption certificate for livestock nutrient mgmt equip and facilities_Page_1


The Washington State Dairy Federation Staff is happy to help you contact your legislator.  Visit theWashington State Legislative District Map to find your legislator. There are three ways you can do this:

Meet Face to Face:
Meeting a legislator in person is the most effective way to express your concerns with an issue.   Here are a few items to think about before you contact the legislator’s office:  Schedule an appointment;  prepare to share your personal story;  offer your expertise and knowledge on this issue or other related issues;  leave your contact information; be polite;  and follow your visit with a thank you note or email.

Send an Email or Letter:
Sending an email or letter ensures that your legislator has a written record of your concern about an issue. If you decide to send an email or letter to your legislator, keep these tips in mind:  Identify yourself as a constituent;  immediately identify the issue; keep your email/letter short and to the point;  include reasons why the issue/legislation will impact you, your family and your farm;  and be polite.  If there is an issue or bill that requires immediate response, an email will reach a legislator faster than a letter. Although letters are more personal, they take more time to reach a legislator, especially a member of Congress because of increased security at the US Capitol.

Place a Phone Call:
Making a phone call is the simplest way to contact your legislator, especially when time is of the essence. A phone call will most likely be brief, so it is important to have your talking points ready.  Identify yourself and the fact you are the legislator’s constituent.  Limit your phone call to one issue.   If you know the bill number, reference the bill number in the call.  Remember to be brief and lay out the reasons for, or against, the issue.  Also, let your legislator know the action you would like them to take on the issue and remember to be polite.